“Going to the gym can be scary, because it is a social experience, meaning it carries all the potential gains that come with socializing, but also all the fears and anxieties too. So, it’s no wonder that going to the gym alone, a hugely uncertain space full of social judgement, is more frightening for some than needles, spiders, and rollercoasters.” One of the main reasons is due to intimidation. If you already don’t feel comfortable with your body, how are you going to feel when you are surrounded by people who work out all the time?
What a lame excuse for not getting exercise. There is no reason for you to avoid getting a good workout because you are embarrassed to go to the gym! Keep in mind that everybody has been in the same spot as you. Nobody was born with a perfect body.
Many beginners who are just starting to exercise often limit themselves to exercising at home or just cardio workouts for fear of going to the gym. This fear is more common than you think, and at the same time it is very easy to solve – all you need is the right information and the wind in your back.
Everyone you see in the gym started out as a beginner and certainly didn’t know everything right away. An interesting fact about the fitness community is that everyone, even personal trainers, are constantly learning new things and working on themselves. Precisely because of this, everyone at your nearest gym knows what it’s like to be a beginner and not know much. At Coop’s Iron Works you can always ask the staff at the reception desk or any employee on the gym floor for some help. The members at good fitness clubs are also an option and will surely jump in and answer all your questions and concerns.
These are tips we would recommend when searching for the correct facility for you:
- SELECT A GYM THAT IS APPROPRIATE FOR YOU, one that is open when you want to go, has the equipment and classes that you need, and is close enough to your home so that it isn’t too much effort to go. Don’t listen to all the fear mongering out there when it comes to MEATHEADS etc… That’s all myth and folklore! Some of the kindest and most welcoming men and women are some of the biggest and strongest people in the gym. Instead of feeling intimidated, try to understand that they started smaller at one time and worked to get where they are. That is the same outcome you should strive for yourself. But when choosing a facility make sure it fits your liking as this is important.
- MAKE A LIST OF ALL THE POSITIVE GAINS YOU WILL ACHIEVE BY GOING TO THE GYM, and have it somewhere easily accessible, like your phone. “Fear likes to push all your positive thoughts to the back of your mind and increase anxiety the closer you get to a scary situation. Having your list handy to review before you go to the gym and even on your way to the gym when your anxieties are at their peak, will help give you’re the boost to push through.”
3. ACKNOWLEDGE YOUR FEARS “Take the time to think about what exactly makes you nervous about going to the gym. Is it not knowing how to use the equipment? Judgement from others? A fear that maybe you won’t be as strong as you want to be, or perhaps as strong as you used to be? After each fear you write down, ask yourself why it scares you, and if it is worth giving up all the gains you outlined in #2.”
4. ACCEPT YOU CAN’T DO EVERRYTHING “We have to accept what we are capable of right now, and for many that’s a hard truth to confront. It’s OK that you don’t know how to work every machine, you can learn. Remember, there’s a good chance everyone around you is scared of the same things! Accept where you are, let go of where you wish you were, and commit to focusing on the now.”
5. EDUCATE YOURSELF “Fear is all about the unknown, so you can do yourself a BIG favor and reduce a ton of anxiety by making an appointment with a staff member to learn about the gym before your first workout. Learn where the locker rooms, water fountains, and exits are located, and learn any important gym protocol like proper equipment use and class etiquette.”
- Watch our YouTube Equipment Tutorials so you can see what equipment we have available and how to properly use it.
- You can always ask one of our Staff Members and they would be happy to show you how to use anything in the facility.
6. DON’T FORGET WHY YOU’RE DOING THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE – ITS FOR YOUR HEALTH!
How to beat gym anxiety
First things first: gym anxiety is very common. It won’t be long until you find out this for yourself because gym anxiety can make it extremely difficult to complete a simple fitness workout! The main reason as to why you should not worry about gym workouts as much as other people might tell you that working out at the gym really isn’t as bad as it appears. At Coop’s Iron Works, we welcome new members everyday! Our certified personal trainers are always ready to help everyone feel welcome an comfortable at our training facility.
By simply acknowledging your feelings and emotions regarding the gym, you will be able to take control of those feelings and emotions; thereby boosting your confidence in a matter of minutes – this method has been used by many individuals who suffer from gym anxiety. All you have to do is acknowledge these feelings and realize that they are there for a reason – gym anxiety is what you make of it. The best method to go with when new to the fitness routines that you want to create, is to come visit our location on Bay Road in Saginaw, and check out our great facility, staff, and members!
If this gym workout happens to be your first gym workout or even your first time working out in general, gym anxiety will eventually subside but only if you give it some time. The more fitness workouts that you do, the less gym anxious you will feel because not only does working out at the gym become ordinary, but also because it becomes easier to complete these kinds of tasks with little effort! Also working out in a group setting with a trainer can help alleviate your anxiety. Coop’s Iron Works has a host of workout classes we offer, from indoor cycling, to group fitness, to personal training in general. We have something for everyone and we are always adding to our classes, join a class today, check them out on or website!
It’s important that you not lose motivation over fitness workouts and don’t let other people discourage you from approaching the gym head on! Remember, everyone has one point where they are gym workout anxious; it’s even noticeable in gym models themselves! So if your 2022 fitness goal is to sign up for a gym membership and workout regularly, then you have come to the right place, Coop’s is the best gym in the Tri Cities with state of the art equipment and clean facilities to help all gym enthusiast feel right at home.
Gym anxiety is often accompanied by physical manifestations; especially increased heart rate. However, the only way to overcome gym workout anxiety is to make your gym workout as normal as possible because gym workouts are like any other activity that you do during your day-to-day life – gym workouts don’t have to be stressful! Our gym has enough room for anyone to workout in private as they please, with a friend or trainer, or to join a class. We have every type of equipment in our fitness facility, just waiting for you to come use it. Stop by today or give us a call, we’d love to hear from you!
Add to your fitness routine
Did you know that at Coop’s Iron Works you will find the best and most highly trained personal trainers? Or that we have the most upbeat and fun group workout classes? Or that we have a wide range of services and all the fitness equipment you can dream of? Within our fitness community here at Coop’s you can find everything you are looking for!
Our workout classes, led by highly trained personal trainers, are always a fun way to get your heart rate up, your cardio higher, and your spirit about the gym that much more appealing! We have indoor cycling classes 5 days a week, group fitness classes, cardio classes, an the list goes on. If you are looking for a full body workout with a great vibe, our workout classes are exactly what you need.
Coop’s Iron Works offers so much more than just fitness classes, we have the best facility around with all the equipment you can handle! We have members that work on their weight training, bodybuilding, powerlifting, cross training, cardio, balance, and just to enjoy an hour or two away from the stress of a work day or daily home life. Who else in Saginaw has a 40 yard turf training center? This area was specifically added to our facility to help our members to train on their strength, agility, speed, and a full body workout! No other gyms in the area have this sort of area that can be used to lift weights, run sprints, or work with other individuals that can help you learn more about your workout routine.
Going with any workout is nutrition. Eating healthy and working out go hand in hand, that is why our personal trainers and our nutrition specialists welcome our members asking questions and trying their best to live their best life. Start 2022 with a great workout, a nutrition regimen, and free advice on how to get active and stay active. Visit our website today to sign up for a gym membership and stop by for the best workout at the best fitness centers in Saginaw!